One of the best things about Northern Michigan is the fresh goodness of locally grown fruits and vegetables. Various farm markets along M-22 offer a bounty of the best-tasting produce around. Shopping for fresh produce is convenient, with many of the local farm markets open from May until September or October.
Below is the 2018 Farmers Market Schedule Along M-22
Manistee farmers market runs from 8am-1pm every Saturday, May 26 – October 6. It is located in the parking lot on the corner of Washington Street and Memorial Drive. There is often a live music performance.
Onekama farmer’s market operates from 2pm-6pm on Fridays, June through mid September. It is located on Main Street, which is a part of M-22, across from Onekama Hardware.
Elberta’s farmers market is from 8am-12:30pm on Thursdays, May 17 – October 11. After labor day, hours shorten to 9am-12pm. The market is located right off M-22 on Frankfort Avenue.
Frankfort’s farmers market runs from 9am-1pm on Saturdays, May 2 – October 31. The market is located in the Open Space Park. Just outside of Frankfort is the nonprofit Grow Benzie, which hosts a farmers market from 2pm-6pm on Mondays, June 4 – August 27.
- EmpireEmpire’s farmers market operates from 9am-1pm on Saturdays, June 16 – September 8. It is located on Front Street next to the Post Office.
- Glen ArborGlen Arbor’s farmers market is from 9am-1pm on Tuesdays, June 12 – September 11. It is located on Western Avenue, a part of M-22, next to the Glen Lake Chamber of Commerce.
- LelandLeland’s farmers market is from 9am-1pm on Thursdays, June 21 – August 30. It is located at the intersection of River St. and North 1st St., across from The Bluebird.
- NorthportNorthport’s farmers market operates from 9am-1pm on Fridays, June 8 – September 14. It is located on South Bay St., next to the library.
- Suttons BayThe Suttons Bay farmers market runs from 9am-1pm on Saturdays, May 12 – October 27. It is located in Northpark, intersection of M-204 and M-22.
Grand Traverse County
- Traverse City
Traverse City has two different farmers markets. The Sara Hardy Downtown farmers markets runs from 8am-12pm on Wednesdays and from 7:30am-12pm on Saturdays, May 5 – October 31. It is located in parking lot “B” at the southwest corner of Cass and Grandview Parkway in downtown Traverse City. The Village at Grand Traverse Commons farmers markets operates from 12pm-4pm on Mondays, May through October. In the winter, their market is from 10am-2pm on Saturdays. Both are located on Cottageview Drive, near Trattoria Stella in the Village.
Northwest Michigan Harvests
Although the seasons are dependent upon the weather, we\'ve listed the time periods when local crops typically are harvested.
Late April-June: Asparagus, Raspberries, Rhubarb, Strawberries
July-August: Apples, Blackberries, Blueberries, Cherries, Corn, Green Beans, Peaches, Raspberries, Strawberries, Tomatoes, Watermelons, Zucchini
September-October:Apples, Green Beans, Tomatoes, Watermelons, Zucchini